- Benefits of Cleaning Your Garage Door
- How Often Should You Clean Your Garage Door?
- Supplies You Need to Clean Your Garage Door
- How to Clean Your Garage Door
- How to Remove Stains From Garage Doors
- How to Wax Your Garage Door
- Where to Buy New Garage Doors in Oregon
With so many household chores to take care of, it’s easy to put cleaning your garage door at the bottom of the list. However, cleaning the garage door is essential to maintaining its appearance and function. A garage door is a significant investment for any homeowner — they last years and ensure the safety and security of your home. Taking good care of them will help keep your house looking nice and protect your garage door from wear and tear.
Whether you need to give your garage door a deep clean or you want to know what cleaning schedule to follow, we’ve got all the information you need. Here are some garage door cleaning tips to help you get started.
Cleaning garage doors is an essential part of garage door maintenance for Oregon homeowners. Cleaning, like other maintenance, helps ensure your garage door’s strength and appeal. Without it, you may have to invest in significant garage door service costs more frequently. Some of the benefits of garage door cleaning include the following:
- Increases life span: A quality garage door will last 15 to 30 years when well-maintained. However, ignoring cleanings can allow rust, dirt and grime to build up on your garage door. Too much rust eats away at the door, weakening it and making it necessary to get repairs more frequently. Excessive grime will collect in the hinges and between panels, impacting the use and look of your door. Keep it clean to extend its working life.
- Improves curb appeal: A sparking, fresh garage door elevates the look of your home. The cleaner and more well-kept your garage door, the nicer your home will look and the better you’ll feel about your space. Additionally, a clean exterior is vital for homeowners looking to sell since buyers want a home that looks cared-for and new.
- Follows your warranty: Many garage door warranties require regular cleaning. If you fail to keep up with your door, it could void the warranty — if you were to need repairs or a replacement, you wouldn’t be able to rely on the warranty for assistance.
- Protects the finish: A garage door’s finish makes the door look nicer and protects it from damage — especially for wood doors. Water, sun, grit and dirt will all wear the finish away over time. Wear and tear dulls your door’s look and leaves your door material unprotected — regular cleaning helps protect the finish from erosion.
You should clean your garage door twice a year — once in spring and once in fall. Cleaning in the spring helps remove grime and buildup from snow, salt, wind, pollen and rain. Cleaning in the fall helps clear debris from summer and falling leaves. Additionally, you should do it before winterizing your garage door, so you have a clean slate to work with.
\If you live in an area like Oregon that sees lots of rain, wind and weathering, you should clean your garage door at least once a season to keep it durable and looking fresh.
Before you can start cleaning, you’ll need the right tools. Make sure you have:
- A soft-bristle brush, wet cloth or non-abrasive sponge
- Several clean cloths for wiping
- A mild cleaning solution or detergent
- A two-gallon bucket of warm water or a hose
- A step-ladder to reach the top of the garage
Once you have these materials, you’re ready to get started.
When you’ve gathered your supplies, you should pick a mild day with some sun to clean your garage. You want to avoid working when it’s too hot or cold, as it could strain your body excessively and affect how clean you get your garage door. Here are the steps for washing your garage door:
- Take your clean cloth and wipe the garage door and stop molding. This removes any surface dirt and clears away tiny rocks and grit.
- Use water to get the garage door wet and ready for the cleaner.
- Wet your brush, sponge or cloth in a solution of cleaner and water.
- Begin scrubbing the garage door thoroughly, starting at the top and working your way down. Make sure to get all your trim and weatherstripping as well. Wash the door’s interior and exterior.
- Use clean water to wash away all the grime and soap.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe the door to remove any remaining moisture and suds.
These steps will work for all garage door materials. To avoid damaging the door, ensure you’re using a non-toxic, biodegradable cleaner that won’t impact your garage door finish.
Your garage door might have some stubborn stains you fail to clear with a regular wash. Try scrubbing extra hard with your cleaner and water — many stains will come off with extra elbow grease.
If you have an extra-stubborn stain, depending on your garage door material, you might be able to use a diluted mixture of bleach and water to spot clean. Ensure you thoroughly rinse any cleaning solution with water before using your bleach-water mixture — you never want to mix cleaners. Use this method with restraint — bleach can eat away at the door’s finish, causing more damage.
If your garage door is wood, you should avoid using bleach. Bleach can permanently damage the wood and discolor its stain. If you’re unsure about the safety of bleach, it’s always best to use only a mild detergent rather than harm your garage door.
If you have a steel garage door, you’ll need to wax it to maintain its durability and finish. Use a liquid wax and apply it to your door according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Remember to wax the interior’s bottom section, as this area is exposed to the elements occasionally.
Garage doors are an essential part of your home — trust the experts at Valley Overhead Door Sales to help you keep them in top condition. While maintenance is necessary for a lasting garage door, you will need repairs at some point. Our professional garage door repair services get your door back into shape quickly and efficiently, helping you enjoy your door for many more years.
Looking to upgrade your garage door? We sell high-quality Clopay® garage doors built to withstand years of use. With decades of experience, you can rely on our technicians to provide unmatched garage door services. If you’re interested in our services, contact us to request an estimate or request a service online today!