Our garages are an essential pathway in and out of our residences and businesses that most people use each day. Yet garage doors have a defined life, just like the vehicles they protect. The life span of a garage door depends on craftsmanship, care, use and environment, so it’s important to know when it’s time for a replacement.
Factors That Affect Your Garage Door’s Life Span
Industry guidelines estimate a garage door’s life span to be between 15-30 years, depending on the operating conditions and upkeep. In addition to age, many other factors impact how long a garage door will last, including:
- Quality: Market-leading doors — like those we carry from Clopay® — are durable and meet the highest quality standards.
- Weather: Mother Nature’s elements can be harsh on external doors. Temperature extremes, regular rain and windy conditions affect a garage door’s life span.
- Maintenance: Keeping up with scheduled service and maintaining your door in good working condition helps extend its life.
- Usage: Generally speaking, a garage door supports a certain number of cycles. The more often your door raises and lowers, the sooner you may need a new one.
Signs You Need a Garage Door Replacement
Fortunately, our garage doors have ways of communicating when a replacement may be on the horizon. Look out for these signs:
- You’ve seen damaged or broken panels: Sometimes a panel replacement will do the trick. However, collision damage, rotting, cracking and rusting can present repair challenges that are best solved with replacement.
- You’ve paid for ongoing repairs: If you’ve spent a lot on service in a short period, it may be time for a change. It’s often more cost-effective to install a new door than continually invest in repeated repairs.
- You’ve noticed safety issues: Proper operation is essential to your and your family’s well-being. Today’s doors offer upgraded safety features that outperform older or damaged models.
- You’ve experienced energy inefficiency: Investing in a new door can produce significant savings in utility bills and give you more usable space. The money you save in energy costs will help offset expenses for the door.
Contact Valley Overhead Door for Garage Door Services in Oregon
With over two decades of experience, Valley Overhead Door is the clear choice for garage door services in Oregon. Our knowledgeable team proudly serves the Willamette Valley and its communities in Salem, Albany and Corvallis. Schedule your installation or repair service online or call us at 541-262-6239 to speak with a representative today!