- Insulated vs. Non-Insulated Garage Doors
- Do I Need an Insulated Garage Door in Oregon?
- Reasons Oregon Homeowners Should Consider Insulation
- Things to Consider When Choosing an Insulated Garage Door
- Where to Buy Insulated Garage Doors in Oregon
If you want to replace your garage door, you must decide on several factors, including insulation. Choosing between insulated and non-insulated doors comes down to your preferences and location. Oregon regularly sees cold, rainy weather, and having an insulated garage can help make your home more comfortable.
Whether you choose insulated or non-insulated doors, understanding both options will help you make an informed decision. Are insulated garage doors worth it? Use our guide to help you find the best choice for your home.
Insulated and non-insulated garage doors serve different purposes and provide distinct advantages. Many garage door manufacturers offer both, so you must understand what you need when shopping. Choosing between them depends on your climate, budget and intended use.
Which is better for your garage? Let’s compare insulated and non-insulated garage doors.
- Insulated: Insulated garage doors provide thermal efficiency, making them ideal for regions with extreme temperatures. They typically feature foam or reflective materials that keep the garage warm in the winter and cooler in the summer, making it more comfortable for occupants and lowering energy bills.
- Non-insulated: Non-insulated garage doors lack this insulation layer. They’re often more budget-friendly and suitable for regions with milder climates where temperature control may not be a primary concern. While non-insulated garage doors are generally less expensive upfront, they can lead to higher energy costs over time due to increased heating or cooling needs in the garage.
While the choice between insulated and non-insulated garage doors is ultimately up to you, many savvy Oregon homeowners pick insulation. Since Oregon regularly sees cold, wet temperatures, an insulated garage door is a wise investment for improving comfort and energy savings. Without insulation, your garage will be chilly in fall and winter, and heat will constantly leave your house through the garage door.
Homeowners wondering if insulated garage doors are worth it should weigh all the benefits of these doors against their needs. While insulated garage doors are more expensive upfront than non-insulated, they come with many benefits. You should insulate your garage door if the following factors are relevant to you.
- Energy efficiency: Insulation helps maintain consistent indoor temperatures, reducing the need for excessive heating in winter and cooling in summer. Consistent indoor temperatures result in lower energy bills and a reduced carbon footprint. Additionally, you’ll keep your HVAC system in better condition for longer. Your heater and air conditioner won’t have to work as hard with consistent indoor temperatures, reducing strain and wear.
- Climate variability: Oregon’s climate can be unpredictable, with rainy winters and hot summers. Proper insulation can help regulate indoor temperatures, making your home more comfortable year-round. You want your garage door to protect your home from the changing seasons — investing in quality insulation will help reinforce your door’s strength and maintain consistent indoor temperatures.
- Cost savings: Investing in insulation pays off in the long run by lowering your heating and cooling costs. Over time, homeowners can recoup the upfront investment through reduced utility bills. Additionally, your garage door will have increased durability thanks to the insulation, making it last longer against weathering.
- Comfort: Insulation stabilizes temperatures and minimizes drafts, creating a more comfortable living environment. It also dampens noise, giving you more peace of mind. With your home at a dependable temperature, consistent noise reduction and fewer drafts, you can relax and enjoy spending time with family and friends.
When choosing an insulated garage door, you need to weigh various factors. Garage doors are an asset — you want one that fits your budget, needs and preferences. Here are some critical considerations when looking for an insulated garage door.
The R-value measures the insulation’s thermal resistance. Higher R-values mean garage doors are more effective at insulating against extreme temperatures. Many Oregon homeowners prefer R-values between 14 and 16 to keep their garages warmer and reduce heating costs.
You have two primary insulation types to choose from — polystyrene and polyurethane. Both materials are good insulators, but they differ slightly in construction and R-value. Let’s look at them to help you find your preferred choice.
- Polystyrene: Polystyrene insulation is the more cost-effective option. It consists of rigid foam panels inserted into the door’s construction. While it provides decent insulation, it generally has a lower R-value than polyurethane. Polystyrene-insulated doors are more suitable for regions with milder climates or homeowners on a budget.
- Polyurethane: Polyurethane insulation is a high-performance option. It involves injecting polyurethane foam into the door’s panels, creating a continuous, dense insulating layer. This method offers excellent insulation with a higher R-value than polystyrene. Polyurethane-insulated doors are ideal for regions with extreme temperature variations, like Oregon’s diverse climate.
The garage door’s style and material also impact insulation. Consider the door type — like sectional or roll-up — and the material. Each has different insulation capabilities, so choose one that suits your aesthetic preferences and needs. Double-layer steel doors will be more insulating than single-layer — wood is also a good insulator, though it requires more maintenance than other materials. Consult a professional for advice on garage door materials and insulation properties to ensure you get the appropriate fit for your home.
If you need to upgrade your garage door, choose Valley Overhead Door Sales for exceptional insulation, security and style. Our commitment to customer satisfaction ensures we provide top-of-the-line garage doors every time. Our expert team will guide you through the process, helping you choose the perfect door that matches your preferences, climate requirements and budget. From garage doors to garage door repairs, we’ve got you covered.
Make Valley Overhead Door Sales your trusted partner in upgrading your home’s curb appeal and energy efficiency. Contact us today to explore the best garage door options for your unique needs and experience the difference quality can make. If you’re dealing with garage door issues, request service from us online and get your garage in top condition again!