- Ways that New Garage Doors Add Value to Your Home in Oregon
- Match the Style of Your Garage Door to Your Home
- Where to Get New Garage Doors Installed in Oregon
Homeowners are always looking for new ways to add value to their homes. The higher someone’s home value, the more they can sell their home on the market. While numerous things add value to your home, a new garage door can increase your home value and curb appeal.
New technology and customization options allow you to find a garage door that complements the appearance of your home and meets your functionality needs. Learn more about how you can pick the best garage door to increase your home’s value.
A new garage door and opener will increase your home’s value in many ways. Consider the following when deciding if you want to replace your garage door system:
Curb appeal plays a big part in the value of your home. Real estate with an inviting exterior sells an average of 7% more than real estate with an uninviting appearance. A garage door can significantly affect your home’s value as it is a large part of your facade. You can pick colors to enhance the look of your home or choose one with bold panels to make it stand out among the rest.
First impressions can make or break your ability to sell your home in many cases. You can increase your home’s curb appeal by investing in a quality garage door, improving your chances of selling and your home’s overall value.
Outdated garage doors could put your home at risk for break-ins, especially if they have flaws, which aren’t appealing to homebuyers and decrease the overall value of your home. Investing in a new garage door allows you to benefit from new and improved safety features, including:
- Motion sensors: Motion sensors or detectors can sense when a person or animal is close, turning on lights so you can see what’s approaching your garage door. It can also help you feel more secure when you return home at night since you can see everything in your vicinity.
- Garage door openers: These openers are standard among garage doors and allow you to easily open and close the door using a motor and trolley. Pressing a button will activate the motor, which triggers the trolley and allows the garage door to move up and down. The new technology makes it impossible for people to duplicate your door opener’s frequency, keeping your garage and home safe.
- Automatic timers: Many of us are guilty of forgetting to close the garage door after getting home after a long night. Luckily, newer garage door openers can come with a timer that allows individuals to close the garage door after a specific time.
- Smartphone operation: Thanks to advances in technology, smartphone apps enable you to control many of the garage door functions from anywhere. You can easily open or close the door and check to see if someone has broken in, allowing you to notify authorities as soon as possible.
Older garage doors may not have adequate insulation, costing you more monthly with your utility bill. Hot or cold air could slip into your home, making your HVAC system work overtime to accommodate the lack of temperature control. Investing in a garage door with the right level of insulation can make a difference in your energy savings, which will also improve the value of your home as potential buyers won’t have to fix these insulation problems themselves.
When searching for garage doors to improve energy efficiency, you should look for doors with good weather sealing to keep out harsh elements. More importantly, you’ll want to look for a high R-value, which is a measurement that determines how well the insulation can resist heat. R-values can get as high as R-45, but your garage door will only need an R-value up to 16.
The specific R-value you need will depend on the climate where you live. For example, an R-11 or higher rating is enough to keep your garage adequately insulated if you live in a hot or moderate climate. However, if you live in a colder climate with more extreme temperatures in the winter, you’ll want an R-rating of at least 14 or 16. A properly insulated garage door can save you money on your monthly utility bill and reduce outside noise, keeping your home quieter and allowing for more privacy.
Older garage doors often require more maintenance and repairs to keep them in working order. These repairs can quickly add up, costing you more each year as your garage door ages. A newer door requires less maintenance and, in some cases, none at all. Investing in a new garage door allows you to save on repairs and eventually recuperate your new door’s cost.
Homebuyers would also be more interested in your home if they don’t have to worry about constant repairs, meaning your home would be worth more than those with older garage doors.
A new garage door can improve the value of your home in several ways. Investing in a new door increases your curb appeal and your garage door’s efficiency, functionality and safety. Homebuyers are more likely to make a higher offer on a home with a high-quality, functioning garage requiring little to no maintenance.
Installing a new garage door is an excellent way to improve your home’s curb appeal, but you have to ensure that the garage door you pick complements the appearance and architecture of your home. You’ll want to consider your home type and choose a door that corresponds with the style. For example, if you own a ranch-style home, you may want a classically styled garage door, such as a carriage house garage door. On the other hand, a contemporary home may be better off with something more sleek and industrial.
You’ll also want to match your garage door in other ways, including the color and surroundings. Consider all the colors of your home, including the primary, accent and trim colors. Depending on the placement of your garage door, the accent or trim color is usually a good choice. However, you can also choose a classic neutral color, such as white or charcoal.
Finally, consider your surroundings, such as your neighborhood and climate. You’ll want to keep styles consistent and choose a door that can handle the weather in your area, providing you with enough insulation to keep you and your family comfortable.
If you’re wondering how to add value to your home in Oregon, Valley Overhead Door Sales can help you find the perfect garage door for your home. We have over 20 years of experience in the industry and can assist with installation, maintenance and repairs. We offer various garage door types to suit your home, no matter the style. We can also help you repair your garage door openers!